Next Start Date: 1 April 2019
Duration: 20 day Specialist Upskilling Programme, 5 day Experienced Worker Programme & 10 EWP
Location: Clifford Training Centre
Cost: From £999 - SAP Course & NVQ Assessments for CITB registered companies. Self-funders please contact us for quote
Run out of our Clifford Training Centre, this course is available at 3 levels:
- SAP or Special Applied-Skills Programme - a 20 day intensive course in 2 10 day blocks for those with only limited site experience or qualifications
- EWP or Experience Worker Programme - an intensive 10 day course for those with a few years’ site experience plus some relevant qualification.
- EWP – a fast track 5 day course for those with lots of experience and qualifications.
CITB accredited courses aimed at those wishing develop their knowledge and skills in Heritage Stone Masonry (banker masonry, fixing, site masonry). The courses are a combination of lectures and practical work at historic sites and can be an integral part of working towards an NVQ Level Three in Heritage Skills and the achievement of a CSCS Gold Card (increasingly necessary for Heritage contracts).
Conserve, repair and maintain stonework
- Natural England Lecture
- Flora and Fauna
- The concept of minimum Intervention
- Importance of using “like-for-like” techniques
- Situations where instructions or clarification must be sought
- Salvaging re-usable materials
- Tools and equipment to carry out repair and replacement to historic stonework
- Understand the need to consolidate historic masonry as part of conserving stonemasonry structures.
- Materials and components used in conserving stonemasonry
- Materials used to protect completed work
- Construction joints used in masonry
Temporary support, excavation and underpinning
- Types of foundation.
- Types of shoring and purpose of each type of shoring
- Structural movement
- Methods to monitor movement in structures
- Methods of underpinning
- Conditions that make underpinning necessary
- Traditional underpinning
- Protection to upper surfaces of projecting courses
- Decaying/rusting ironwork
- Construction of stairs
- Storing materials, aggregates and tools
- Securing the workplace
Lime and lime based mortars
- Lime Cycle
- Turning quick or lump lime into lime putty
- Sand slake lime into dry hydrate
- Lime putty and storage
- Lime mortars.
- Clarification of building limes
- Hydraulic limes
- Function of lime mortar in a structure
- Prepare lime mortars.
- Protection of work
- Site work cutting out defective mortar from stone joints
- Tamping and pointing (traditional joint finishes)