Grade II Listed Farmhouse Renovation, Herefordshire
A four-bedroom Grade II listed Farmhouse some of which dates back to the fifteenth century. The National Trust acquired the Estate, where the property is based, in 1957 for its high landscape value and fine example of Welsh border farms which include farmhouses, traditional buildings, wooded dingles and mature woodland.
This project involved full internal and external refurbishment of the existing cottage. The roof required substantial refurbishment and reinstatement of all leadwork including the renewal of a stone tiled swept valley. Vegetation was carefully removed from the fragile stone tiled roof and over 250 stone tiles were replaced ensuring no damage to the surrounding areas.
External walls were in a poor state of repair and required significant timber frame repair or replacement where rot and decay had occurred. One of the two main chimney stacks was repointed and the other one rebuilt entirely. Lime plaster panels were repaired or replaced wherever required and finished with limewash. Original cast iron guttering, windows and doors were fully repaired and refurbished using minimum intervention techniques throughout.
All original internal features were retained and repaired wherever necessary and full redecoration using natural breathable paints was carried out. Installation of new central heating system, two new bathrooms, full rewire and fitted kitchens were all completed in order to modernise the building making it fit for future use.